{in memorium - Catherine Weir}

Catherine E Weir
8/17/1928 to 5/26/2016

I was lucky enough to be blessed with 2 Bonus Grandmas from Dan's family.  Catherine is Dan's paternal Grandma. I like the term Bonus better than In-Law because it describes the affect she had on my life.  I have known Granny Weir since 1998.  I was able to spend many days one on one with her while the guys were out hunting and playing.  I learned a lot about all sorts of things during our time together.  For example; how to water plants correctly, how to make oyster stew, which types of birds like which types of  bird seed, not to whistle randomly or face a thump to the head, how to cook "correctly", a lot about gardening and soil pH, and most importantly I learned about the family.

Granny had a story about everything. The most fascinating part was that the stories were rarely about her.  Even when I asked directly, they would always tangent off and turn into something new.  She had an interesting life with all her hardships and triumphs but she loved to talk about her family.  She was so happy to share with me all the amazing stories and brag about how smart everyone is - gifted, really.  But despite her long teaching career and best efforts she wasn't able to teach me how to play 500, knit or peel an apple.  We tried a few times and finally she said "I think it's best if you leave it up to me. You can just be delightful company." Thanks for trying Granny.

Watching Granny with our kids was amazing.  They just soaked her right up.  Listening to her read them stories made my heart full.  She didn't just read the words, she examined each page for minutes. Using different teaching techniques to really enjoy the book together.

 



 


Granny had a thump that could sting all day and she had a hug that could put all your pieces back together.
With love and respect we will celebrate her life on June 13th, 2016.  Rest in Peace Granny and thank you for blessing my life.

~A.

Comments

Popular Posts