{More then just the family across the street}

Biologically, I was an only child but I do know what it’s like to have a sister and 3 brothers thanks to the Frankoskys! Steve, Joanne, Brent, Mary, Patrick and Jeff to be exact.  They started out as the neighbors across the street when I first moved to Eden Prairie, and a friendship quickly blossomed.  Over the last 24 years they have become my 2nd family, whether they wanted me or not!  My Mom, Dad and Step-Dad all worked full time.  Those hours before and after school were mostly spent with Mary, and by extension, her brothers and parents.  Mary is my longest friendship and I have a feeling she always will be. We spent so many days and nights girl-talking & playing various things and just growing up together.  At this point, we realize how embarrassing some of the things we did are...i.e. Chums.  I’m not going to name them all but usually we had at least one of her brothers in tow.  Playing school; collecting leopard frogs by the hundreds; manning various lemonade stands; playing on the train tracks; run-ins with the cops; softball and basketball; trying to build a tree fort; biking all over the city, crazy homework sessions, birthday parties, family picnics, butting heads with some brothers and scaring the others while home alone.  There was never a dull moment. 
 Christmas Card photo from 1991


 Softball 1993
Growing up around them was so much fun, and looking back, I realize all the life lessons and family moments that they let me share with them were very special.  All through the awkward preteen years and then the high school trials and tribulations. Then through the college years and growing up and getting married, they have always been a constant in my life.  

Joining them on their family vacation 1997

 When the time came to plan my childcare for Jacob I was uneasy about the centers and you just never know who you're gonna get.  When Joanne offered to watch him I was thrilled, it eased my nerves and made going back to work so much easier.  Having Joanne (JoJo as the kids call her) care for Cub and Cami during those years, I think, was the best part.  Growing up around her I knew that she was a great mother, I mean she raised her 4 kids and dealt with me a lot the time.  Watching her love them and care for them just like they were her grand kids was more then I could have hoped for.  It was a great feeling to know she wanted to be a part of their lives. You can never have too many wonderful people surrounding you. I love their family and now my kids love them too!  
Joanne with Cub and Cami at their birthday party 2009
 As I was recalling some of the best memories I have with them I realized they all have a common denominator; laughter.  They all laugh a lot. I think I could pick out a Frankosky laugh blindfolded! They are the type of family I hope mine grows to emulate.  Spending so much time together, even now with their new spouses and kids to build that bond with the next generation. They rely on each other when needed without hesitation and grant forgiveness when needed.  We always had fun and even during those few times when it wasn’t fun we look back on it and laugh now!

Steve, Mary and Joanne at Mary's 30th birthday party 2011

Sometimes the personality traits consistent with my "only child" status may surface, but thanks to my neighbors, I hope I also received the best parts of being a sibling as well.  I owe a lot to Mary and the rest of the Frankoskys for imparting some of those important sibling life lessons on me.   You guys are the best!
Love you,
~A.

Comments

  1. Oh April you just brought tears to my eyes. I am so happy that you have always felt like another siblng in our family because that's the way we have always felt about you. Now it's fun to be able to watch your kids grow up and keep up with everyday things on your blog. Love ya.
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts