{Ruger Update}

January 18th, Ruger turned 6 months old.  He is still growing but for some reason he doesn't want to eat.  He is losing weight and we're not sure why.  He's everything that you'd expect a 6 mo.old puppy to be: energetic, happy, funny and challenging!  But he seems to think food is not necessary. I've tried other brands, adding yummy people treats to the food but he's not interested. He even turns his nose up at canned food!  Yesterday, we went to the vet and we are currently awaiting blood test results to see if there is a bigger issue here.  The vet commented that he was a great boy and behaved nicely, he seems on track despite his bones protruding!  I was reluctant to post any pictures because to me he looks scary skinny, now the vet said he didn't think he was to that point yet but I disagree. He weighs 83.9 lbs, he should be much more than that!  Hopefully, the test results show up with something because if he just has anorexia then this will be a struggle.  Yep dogs get anorexia, not to be confused with Anorexia Nervosa which is what people can struggle with. He is also dealing with Panosteitis, like growing pains for dogs.  Large breed puppies can experience temporary lameness while their joints and muscles are growing. (probably because he not getting the nutrients from the food he should be eating!) In Ruger's case, he is limping on his back left leg a bit.  But when he's ready to play and run it doesn't seem to be all that bad.  Maybe it's selective Panosteitis! He can't seem to make it up 3 porch steps or get out of bed when you call him...however if Morgan or a kid walks by with a treat then he needs to get up and investigate. 

2-2-12 - Update from the vet... all tests came back very normal and he will get getting his rabies shot Saturday at 8am.  So, now I'm suspicious that he's just a jerk who wants to give me anxiety every day!  I did decide to change foods, I feel like he lost interest in it or possibly that his food isn't agreeing with him.  His poops are normal which doesn't help to give me any hints! I am going to try the Blue Buffalo Basics Turkey and Potato (Kim, I tried the one you suggested and he wouldn't taste it at all, I don't think he likes fish based foods or treats) and we'll see if he starts improving.

Comments

Popular Posts