{ruger update - 10 months}

 
Weighing in at 111lbs and 33.5 in at the shoulder, our puppy is doing well.  Still lacking in the appetite department but over the next year he should fill out now that the growth is slowed to almost nothing.  When I look through the pictures I noticed Great Danes have the ability to look completely serious and absolutely dorky at the same time...I love it! 
 
 He's understanding his Guard Dog role a little more, besides running to see who's here when the driveway alarm sounds he runs perimeter patrol while outside.  He barks at anything that might pose a threat, and everything that doesn't!  A couple weeks ago, at dusk, he sounded his alarm and I was trying to figure out what/who this intruder was.  Dan pulled up and walked in the house, told me Ruger was barking at a toad in the driveway. Last week I witnessed a standoff between Ruger and a bunny, a lot of barking and posturing; ended with him running to the front door.  That bunny must have had some serious fangs!  
 He plays so well with the kids, it really brings me back to playing with Hercules and why I love this breed so much.  Yes, there have been a few minor injuries, when one of those heavy paws makes contact it's gonna leave a mark! But 95% of the wrestling matches end with laughter and hugs! 
 His streak of not eating off the counter is tarnished, I'm sad to say he's a thief.  Technically, I guess he's still okay on the counters but one day Cami set her ice cream sandwich down to go potty and Ruger helped himself to a treat while no one was looking.  I think one infraction is okay, I mean he is still a puppy and remembering the rules is hard when you only have a few brain cells!  Yes, I know Great Danes are not the Albert Einsteins of the dog world but they are so gentle and loveable that it doesn't matter.  Frankly, having Ginger around was torture at times, you always had to make sure you were one step ahead. And Morgan is almost the same way!  When those girls got bored or left alone they would think of things to do that usually resulted in trouble!  Ginger especially knew how to get away with being naughty, she was very crafty. RIP Ginger.

Comments

Popular Posts