{His first surgery}

For many years now Dan's hands have been giving him problems at work. Recently, when the symptoms increased he went to get checked out. Diagnosis: Carpel tunnel in both hands.  Which he suspected so it was no shock.  Dr. Marek at Twin Cities Orthopedics set him up to get both hands done at once, after hearing that his recovery time will be limited and he can go back to work as soon as he wants without hurting anything the surgery fixed we were on board.  This is Dan's first surgery, yes he had his wisdom teeth out in 2005 but that really isn't the same.  So, we know about his tolerance to anesthesia and that always brings a concern to my mind but everything went extremely well. During surgery the Dr. uses a single small incision on the wrist to access the nerve area.  He knew Dan was an electrician and it was very important that he didn't have any incisions on his palm.  That would drastically slow down his recovery and ability to return to work right away.

Dan had laprascopic surgery and this picture shows an Endoscopic procedure, I am not sure but I think the only difference is the Dan only has one incision not 2 like shown above. This was the best google image I could find.

I was in the waiting room reading the Hunger Games..eerrr..waiting anxiously for his nurse to come and get me. I now realize I should have been mentally preparing for the days to come.  I did get some comfort items and other fun things to help him feel better. Despite my best efforts, it was a rough weekend. Both his hands were extremely sore and a guy who gets sick from pain meds you couldn't help but feel sorry for him.  I had to do almost everything for him!  In hindsight I should have gotten and extra bottle of wine for myself!
** warning: camera phone photos**

 Waking up and feeling pretty good, oh how I wish I could warn him.
 Going home - spirits are still high!  We stopped at the grocery store then picked up the kids on the way home.
 Dinner with a side of ice bags for his hands.
And by 10am the next morning...

 A few days later the stitches pulled out of both his wrists and he had to battle the bleeding and ward off any possible infection.  Skip forward to his 2 week check up on the 3/29 and Dr. Marek was pleased with the progress, everything is healing nicely.  He is taking it easy and recovering a little more each day. 

Comments

  1. So pleased so hear that it's healing nicely! That's such a sweet picture of you, Ruger, sitting on the sofa, watching over Dan! :-)

    Slobbers,
    Honey the Great Dane

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts