Ruger Update (8 Months old)

March 18th Ruger turned 8 months old.  He's now up to 100 lbs and 32" at the shoulder. Over the winter we purchased a dog house from craig's list and I'm excited that he'll start using it more. With the warm weather I plan to get the dogs outside during the day when we are at work.  He still pees like a girl and the only reason I dislike that is because he pees all over his front legs!  Hopefully soon he'll start lifting his leg or else he'll need to get better control!  His house manners are so good and the kids love playing with him. He has mastered the classic Dane couch sit, he tries to get away with that as much as possible.(You can see in the post about Dan's surgery he is demonstrating)  We only allow the dogs on the couch if we invite them.  So if the sad puppy dog eyes don't work then he nonchalantly sits next to you and looks away like it's no big deal.

 He had cherry eye in his right eye back in January.  Now he has it in the other eye! We've tried massaging it back down and it hasn't worked. He's going down to Makotah Vet Clinic in Blue Earth on 4-4-12 to get it fixed. I called around to the vets in our area and the prices ranged from $385-$720 for the surgery and a mandatory overnight stay.  Makotah quoted me $50, they might be a couple hours away but they are nice people and we get to see the relatives when we go down there. A few years ago we had Ginger spayed with them - they did the surgery, cleaned her teeth and an overnight stay and they charged me 48.00! 
I know the saying "you get what you pay for" but I was very pleased with them after Ginger's visit and I think the other Vet just hike up their prices.  For his right eye i went to Goldmount Vet Ctr way down in Sherburne MN.  She quoted me a decent rate of $150 and going on referrals from family members I was happy to make the drive.  The final bill and the pick up time was almost double what they told me over the phone. Ugh, why is dealing with Vets so frustrating?
 He doesn't watch from the sidelines any more. He runs along with the four wheeler all the time.
Hopefully soon I'll get a picture where both of his ears look normal.

Last week we loaded up the Explorer and went finishing at Baylor Regional Park.  They have a nice dock with tons of room to fish and both times we've gone it's been empty.  I decided to bring Ruger with to socialize him to knew things/places and this was only his second time going on a leash and the first time around water.  I mean, he knows what water is, he's had his fair share of baths but a lake/pond is much different.  For bath time I have to lure him up stairs with a little piece of hot dog on every couple of steps.  Then I have to scatter them in the bath tub as well.  After a small skirmish, he's in the tub and he looks like he's slowly dying.  The water hits him, his eye glaze over and he tries to disappear into the floor of the tub.  He knows "Whoa" and he doesn't try to get out while I'm standing there until I tell him the release work "OK"  But I am not confident if I turn my back that he wont make a run for it.  At the lake, he was walking along side the shore and Cub walked out into the water with his boots, Ruger followed not realizing the water would touch him.  When his paws went under you would have thought it was lava and he just lost both his legs!  He reared up and bolted away with no concern for any one or thing his his path!  I had to drop the leash because Cami was in the way and she would surely have rope burn on her neck.  He didn't go far, circled around the hid behind me waiting for comfort and reassurance.  Which is exactly why I didn't comfort him, that would only rewarded his irrational behavior!  I picked up the leash and walked out on the dock with Dan.  We caught a lot of crappies and enjoyed the nice weather.  We'll be doing that again in the near future!

Comments

Popular Posts