{the icing on the cake}

In our house there are 2 types of people: cake lovers and               pie lovers. 
My husband, son and sometimes daughter are all on the pie side.  I am a true to the heart cake lover! My favorite food is cake, period.  Pies are fine and dandy but I don't get all goo goo, gaa gaa over them.  Especially fruit pie, ish!  Cooked, mushy fruit is not my idea of dessert.  For the Super Bowl I decided to make a cake as a special treat for our little party. As I was whipping it up, it dawned on me that I didn't have any frosting.  Cub doesn't really like frosting anyway but I know those other 2 will have plenty to say if I had them a piece of plain cake.  I grabbed the ipad and pulled up my Pinterest account.  I remember seeing something about putting marshmallows on cupcakes right after you pull them from the oven.  The heat slowly melts them and they looked perfectly delicious on the link.  That's the problem with Pinterest, looks can be deceiving. Could I risk this cake I just made on an unproven marshmallow trick? I think not!  I searched for a cream cheese frosting recipe, I always have cream cheese in the fridge. Then it hit me, I recalled a recipe I saw with a very intriguing title.  I hopped over to The Pioneer Woman and pulled it up.  It sounds easy and looks yummy, here we go!
The Best Frosting I've Ever Had! - I bet your going to try it!
The ingredients are all simple and it only takes a few minutes to make.  I was surprised when I tested the final product, I liked it.  Yah, I liked it but I didn't love it so I was tentative when I handed out the plates.  As I took my first bit, my heart skipped a beat.  The match of sweet chocolate cake with the new frosting was a hit!  I peered around at the others they then made fun of me for staring at them while they were eating. Ok, ok, tell me if you like it!  Jacob loved it! He doesn't eat the frosting usually because it's just too sweet and over powering.  He said: "this is awesome!".  Cami quickly agreed that yes, it was delicious!  Dan "sweetly" stated: "it tastes like white nothingness". Oh ok, so you're not a fan.  When I make something new in our house, 2 our of 3 is about a perfect score!


A food photographer I am not, and when your food stylists are 8 and 6 you take what you can get! I'm starting to wonder if they even used a knife to cut this piece or if they just reached in with their fingers to scoop it out.  Hold on, I'll try to even this out...

A second later this is what was left.

So you'll have to tell me if you try this frosting or if you already love it.  I'm thinking I might try a chocolate version next time and maybe tweak with the sweetness level a bit.  It's a nice recipe to have on stand by when you need something last minute.  Also, if you've tried the marshmallow trick- how did it turn out?

~A.

Comments

Popular Posts