{kid quotes & commentary}

Setting the scene: reviewing Cub's spelling list one night and the theme was words that sounded the same but were spelled differently to reflect different meanings.  Those types of words are probably called something but I don't know what it is so I hope you understand.  Examples would be blue/blew, there/their, plane/plain and etc.  The other half of the list follows the -unk list of words.

Dan: Spell THERE 
Cub: Which one? Then Dan would give a sentence so he could figure it out.  This went on for about 10 minutes. Then he moved on to the first word on the -unk list.
Dan: Spell JUNK
Cub: Well which kind of Junk?  The kind like regular junk or the kind like your nuts? (as he grabs them for a clear visual)
Dan and I:  there is only one way to spell junk!

Thankfully he got 100% as he usually does but now I think of that moment every time I see that word.

Comments

Popular Posts